Thursday, October 23, 2014

Off the Loom

The weaving project I've been working on this week is off the loom!

After I was finished weaving and before taking it off the loom I added a hem stitch.


I love the results!


 I thought a hem stitch would be a good choice because of the limited amount of yarn I had. It made it so I didn't have to take length from the dish towel to fold it over and sew hems.  I was hoping that would help give me enough yarn to have a nice size dish towel.


However, I severely mis-guessed on the length of my warp.  I really should take time to figure out how to calculate and then actually use the math needed to do it right.  But, I hate math!  I've gotten by fine on all of my previous projects...until now.  Did I mention how much I hate math?!

I got this little....um...place mat?...cloth?...???...instead.  It's 14" long (not counting the fringe) x 16" wide.  I do love how the yarn and colors wove up though.  It feels really nice and looks good.


I ended up with at least a third of the yarn left over...maybe even closer to half!
I have an idea for something I can use it for though.


I tried and tried to get a photo that would accurately show off the pretty, warm, fall colors.  But, no matter what I did or where I took the photo, it just didn't work.  It's very pretty in person though.


My wonderful assistant that "helped" me with this project is seeing it all the way to the end.  She's sitting here, right next to me, as I write this blog post.  What would I do without her?!


6 comments:

thewovenspoke said...

It is beautiful!

Quinn said...

It is lovely! And it looks as though you have found the right job for it already...add a litte plate of tea biscuits (for you) and another of crunchy treats (for your supervisor) and you'll be all set for some quality time!

Delighted Hands said...

I think you have the width right but 27" is a towel length! You have a beautiful table mat! It's hard to find a loyal assistant nowadays...I'm glad you have one! lol

Anonymous said...

Math is one of the BIG reasons I only have a rigid heddle loom and a bracelet loom! :D I think the colors look lovely together. I love your little assistant sitting next to you while you post!
Hugs,
Beth P
P.S. Have you been having any trouble with Blogger lately? I can't get the template thingy to work properly. My header is all wonky all of a sudden as well... grrrr!

mamasmercantile said...

It is beautiful and I love your assistant.

Mereknits said...

I think it is beautiful and would be perfect in the middle of a table like a nice square doily. Love the hem stitch, maybe I need a tutorial on it?
Hugs,
Meredith